Open Lands Questions & Answers

Review common Open Lands questions and answers or submit your own question using the form below. We welcome your comments and feedback. 


What is the Real Estate Transfer Tax?

  • Number of views: 5465

What is the Real Estate Transfer Tax?

The Real Estate Transfer Tax (RETT) was adopted by voters in 1980. The funds collected may be used for only the following purposes within the town or within one mile of the boundaries of the town.

  1. Acquiring, improving, maintaining and repairing real property for parks, recreation, open space and similar purposes.
  2. The construction, maintenance and repair of buildings which are incidental to park, recreation and open space land.
  3. Landscaping, parks and open space.
  4. The construction, maintenance, repair and landscaping of recreation paths set forth in the Town of Vail recreation trails plan as it may be amended by the Vail Town Council from time to time.
  5. Supporting sustainable environmental practices as determined necessary for the environmental health and welfare of the Town of Vail, its inhabitants and its environs in the discretion of the town council.
  6. Paying incidental costs and principal of and interest on any funds borrowed for the purposes above.

Leave a comment

This form collects your name, email, IP address and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. For more info check our Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use where you will get more info on where, how and why we store your data.
Add comment
Next Post: Previous Post:
What is the goal of the update?

Theme picker

Comments and themes identified from our Open Lands Update Questionnaire.

Subscribe to our Open Lands Update information mailing list.