Public Notices and RFPs
The Town of Vail is a unique Colorado resort community and vacation destination. The Town is internationally known for its natural beauty and character. Vail Village, which is closed to vehicular traffic, mixes commercial and residential property with art galleries and outdoor café’s. In conjunction with Vail’s “Billion Dollar Renewal”, Art in Public Places has been integrating art into streetscape elements, including paving stones, drainage grates and trash cans. The town now requires a number of bike racks for placement primarily in Vail Village.
The Town of Vail Art in Public Places committee would like to commission up to twelve unique bike rack sculptures. The sculptures are required for a number of diverse locations and can be either permanent or movable. Sculptures that have the ability to hold bikes, skis and snowboards are highly desirable. The project budget is $2000 per bike rack sculpture. Artists can use any material for the bike rack, however highly durable construction materials that can withstand the harsh climate are preferable. Bike rack sculptures should be creative and whimsical and whenever possible have some relation to local environment and surrounding architecture of Vail. Size is at the discretion of the artist. Art in Public Places encourages applications from professional and amateur artists as well as school groups. Applications will be evaluated on artistic merit, functional elements and the artist’s ability to execute the work.
Sites for Bike Racks
Gore Creek Promenade (2)
Wall Street (1)
Bridge Street (2)
Meadow Drive (2)
Slifer Plaza (1)
Seibert Circle/Hanson Ranch Road (1)
Gore Creek Drive (1)
Checkpoint Charlie/International Bridge (1)
Municipal Building (1)
Artist Selection Process
- AIPP will make a national call to artists, invite artists with previous bike rack design experience and encourage school groups to apply.
- Artists will be selected by jury in accordance with AIPP guidelines.
- Submit application materials by Feb. 1, 2007.
- The jury will review applications on Feb. 8, 2007.
- Artists will be notified by March 1, 2007.
- Installation by June 1, 2007.
- A brief resume including qualifications and education.
- A letter of intent with a narrative describing the proposed bike rack or combination bike rack/ski rack.
- A sketch of the proposed bike rack or combination bike rack/ski rack.
Applicants may submit more than one design idea. All submittal materials will become the property of the Town of Vail and will not be returned.
Please send applications to:
Art in Public Places
Town of Vail
1309 Elkhorn Drive
Vail, CO 81657
Email the AIPP Coordinator for more information.